THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Hotel Paper


I have been a fan of Michelle Branch since her debut sometime in 2001 when she was still a fresh-faced artist trying to map out her niche in the music business...Okay, that's not really accurate. Her music wasn't my cup of tea at the time because all the while I thought she was like all popstar wannabes releasing poorly made singles after singles. You could say I'm really skeptic about new artists especially the ones marketed towards the teen population. Why, you say. Well, let's just put it this way, whether we like it or not, teen artists don't have full and total control of their musical taste. They are feigned and formed by producers, managers and fans that are clamoring for a certain kind of artist and style. For most artists, they are swayed by what's in whether it's trash music or just a bad imitation of someone else. However, I figured that Michelle Branch was never like anyone else from her style to the way she views her craft.

I came across Hotel Paper, her second album, while I was browsing for some CDs to burn my money for. At the time, the carrier single, Are You Happy Now? is already getting some airtime on the radio and it was getting great reviews, so I never wasted a wink and bought one for myself.

The album kicked off with the carrier single. It's a different turf for Branch trying this song. She sounds angry and frustrated albeit having a sweet and innocent rep when she was just starting out as a popstar. I've got all that I can take, and I'm not about to break. Are you happy now?, Michelle angrily asks in her first cranky song. Although a bit off tangent with her known style, she was still able to make the song work without making it sound like a song of another artist. The beats and adlibs are still undeniably very Branch-y sans the angst and grunge. Putting it as the first song of the album is such a great idea because it is like sending a subtle hint that she is now older, more experienced, matured, and well, more angry (Isn't that what happens when people age?).

The grunge of the kick-off track was mellowed down by the next track, Find Your Way Back. This song, I believe, is reminiscent of her previous album with a better treatment on beats, lyrics and melody. No one can deny that this song is one of the catchiest songs of the album.

Tuesday Morning is just a meaningful song that reflects honesty leaving you with a feeling of euphoria and nostalgia about the lost years. With provocative lyrics giving off great imagery of love, sadness, regrets and growing up, the song is made even more enchanting with her sweet vocals and light guitar strums. I was finding out who I was/If you turn around to see me and I was gone/just take a look outside your window because the sun is coming up---These words would make you want to click rewind and listen to the song over and over again.

Love Me Like That, collaboration with Sheryl Crow, is another chick song with angst-stricken beats and strong guitar sounds. Listening to it would give you the image of Sheryl Crow jamming with Michelle with their signature styles and fan-swooning vibe.

0 comments: